Part-Night Operation of Streetlights
October 25, 2012 28 Comments
Following the decision taken to operate approximately 80% of streetlights on a part-night basis, a consultation took place in spring/summer 2012 to determine if the public were in agreement with those areas identified for part-night and those for full time operation.
Feedback from the public resulted in some areas previously identified for part-night operation changing to full time operation.
After this consultation the final locations that formed the public exemption criteria were:
1) Where there are potential hazards on the highway such as roundabouts, traffic signal controlled junctions, central carriageway islands, traffic calming features, road humps etc.
2) At formal pedestrian crossings (Zebra, Pelican, Puffin, Toucan, and Pegasus).
3) Areas covered by permanent Local Authority/Police CCTV cameras.
4) Areas adjacent to elderly people care homes, sheltered accommodation complexes and Accident and Emergency departments.
5) Lighting adjacent to operational taxi ranks.
6) Lighting on public footpaths, alleyways and cycle paths which are located away from roads.
65% of survey participants declared that they strongly agreed with Warwickshire County Council’s exemption criteria.
All of the specific issues highlighted by respondents have been investigated and have led to alterations based on the exemption criteria. There was an acknowledgement from the Street Lighting team that due to the scale and complexity of the network, there will need to be an ongoing process of reviewing and tweaking the scheme.